Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Same city new Image

So London, although small in size, is one of the most diverse areas in the world. Yes you hear that often and about ten million times when you finally get to the city but you don’t really believe it until you actually get here.
In the first two weeks of being here I’ve just stayed around my neighborhood and gone to the occasional tourist site but never more than that. Somehow everywhere I want to go or end up going is all within a few blocks of each other or in small clusters of places I go to often. Recently that all changed when we went to visit Brixton, the Afro-Caribbean neighborhood here in London.
The first trip happened when we found out about a location that played Hip Hop (a rare thing for us at that point). When we got off the tube and stepped into Brixton it was clear that I was no longer in my neighborhood. I mean just the layout and the never ending black hair and beauty stores could tell you that. The streets where pretty empty aside from the occasional group of people walking around trying to get to wherever it was they had to. We ended up at the location and were instantly amazed (in a good way) by the atmosphere inside. The place was playing mostly underground Hip Hop and everyone was chillin listening to the music with the occasional dancer on the floor trying to show off whatever moves he may have. We ended up spending hours there surrounded by Hip Hop heads who seemed to want to do nothing but listen to track after track of songs most people now a days have no clue about but which these people still knew down to the very last lyric.
We ended up back in Brixton the next day to go to a Jamaican restaurant that was not meant to be missed out on. The second the waitress placed our food on the table I regretted ever eating breakfast that morning because I knew that I was not hungry enough to eat all that food (even though I wanted to). The rest of the day was spent walking around the neighborhood and market, trying to see more sights that we hadn’t the night before.
I still have more sights to see and more neighborhoods to visit, each a little different and with its own feel. I've learned that in this city, no matter what your tastes might entail, you can always be in the London you want.

1 comment:

  1. Love It!

    I plan on visiting London in Feb. Please tell me where all the hot spots are!

    ReplyDelete