Sunday, September 5, 2010

London, you amaze me

So I’ve been in London for four days now and upon arriving to the city the first day and taking the coach back to our flat I thought I had the city down and understood what it had to offer. As we came to Kensington (the area that we live in) and began to walk around I started to get a feel for what the city was like. In this area you see Rolls Royce, Bentleys, Porches, and Range Rovers on every street corner. Houses here are impeccable and cost millions of POUNDS and with all of that I felt like this might be what I was getting myself into.

I WAS DEAD WRONG!!!!!

In the last two days I’ve gotten to know what the REAL London is like and all that it has to offer. Kensington is just a small taste of London and in no way represents all of what this city is about. On a late night attempt to find a place to eat, I somehow ended up on Piccadilly with Anayo and Sandy and that area was crazy.

The streets were alive; clubs were packed, pubs were packed, the sidewalks were filled with people and I was loving it. The city was alive and the people out that night were so diverse that I just wanted to be a part of that crowd. You would see men in designer outfits standing outside of a club and right next to them would be punk rockers decked out in sick gear. Even hanging out at a pub down there was a cool way to spend a night. Hip-Hop music blasting out the speakers while people hung out before going to the clubs.

The only thing that I would have changed that night was a WEIRD eatery that had thee most stank smell ever and cooked meat in the window that looked seriously questionable, never again. The smell still haunts me and makes me quiver.

The next day when we went on a coach tour around the city increased my love for London. In the 2 ½ tour around the city we were still unable to see all the major locations of London. The tour guide was taking us around and pointing to so many different locations that he would be pointing at ten buildings and your head would be turning so fast that you wouldn’t even know what you were looking at nor would you have enough time to take everything in. You would see a tower and castle with a moat from the 1700’s right next to a building built in the last 10 years and another shaped like a car's headlight. The eclecticness of this city just added to its character.

With the Boroughs of Camden, the East End, and the majority of London yet to be visited I know that my stay in London will continue to be incredible and I know it will continue to blow my mind. It still hasn’t all sunk in that I am a continent away and that I will be living in this city for the next 3 ½ months, but until it does sink in I will enjoy every minute of this dream.

3 comments:

  1. Great entry... You capture the essence of the city well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. so this really caught my attention:

    "It still hasn’t all sunk in that I am a continent away and that I will be living in this city for the next 3 ½ months, but until it does sink in I will enjoy every minute of this dream."

    Pretty much sums up how i feel. I'm glad you're having fun exploring the city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this blog! I live in the D.C. metro area so I hope the blogger who stays here really likes it. D.C. is small but there is ALWAYS something going on. I really want to get to London but I like how the 7 of you came together for this. keep it up I will be checking back. small plug, www.soullovenetworking.com :)

    ReplyDelete