Monday, September 6, 2010

Ms. Larkin goes to Washington.

These past two weeks have been crazy!!
I can't even begin to talk about every detail but I will do my best to point out some highlights:

Week 2, 8/23-27
Monday, the internship fair went well, I met some great people got a couple calls back and currently have three organizations interested in "hiring" me. My last one is tomorrow, at which time i will make a decision.

The rest of the week was pretty uneventful until Friday.
Anacostia:American University resides in Tenleytown, one of the wealthier wards of the city. Anacostia is in the 7th ward one of the two poorest wards. In the daytime, it's a great place to see people and historic sites. At night... it's a great time to go back to campus. Even the residents were like "I hope you guys are leaving!!" While the class was there we went to a launch party for an art center's website. I have video for that, one day when i learn how, it will be posted.

I finally got to check out DC night life and for some reason unbeknownst to myself, after paying $15 to be in a club for 90min. the bouncer kicked me out... (NO I WAS NOT ACTING A FOOL) but my underage markers were no longer visible blahblahblah....

Week 3, 8/30-9/3
I had two interviews scheduled for this week, went to both, both went well :D!!
On Tuesday, I went to Busboys and Poets watched Michael Ting perform. He's great, the other performers were great. If I knew how to upload videos from my blackberry i would post the videos...in the words of Kanye West: #itsaprocess

On Thursday some friends and I went to Columbia Heights and found an authentic taqueria and panaderĂ­a.. also checked out a couple charter schools and public schools. This mayoral election season could change how public education in DC is structured. Voters have a tough decision to make in November.

The way each week is structured, I have Mon. and Tues. for an internship, Wed. -Fri. for class time. Class is about 3 hours each day. The professor is awesome. She has been in DC all of her life and has been teaching the class for the past +20 years. Next week she's treating the class to Ben's Chili Bowl and a tour of Shaw/U street.

So those were the highlights..nothing too glamourous.

>>>Side notes:
The weather is cooling down!!!!! yay!!!!
The dining area on Main Campus is fun, they play great music...
I'm doing my best to meet new people and get involved on campus...again, #itsaprocess
Carla is coming to visit on Friday!!!!!!
I have yet to go on Howard's campus, but I have met Howard students....


Sorry this was long, I will post more often.
LOVE and MISS you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment