Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Real College Student of DC

These last 5 days have flown by so fast. It seems like just yesterday I was at home trying to figure out which suitcase my shoes go in or which pillow I should take now or ship later. But it's true... I'M IN DC BITCHES*!!!! (that's the bay in me coming out).

It still seems unreal, I cannot believe I am physically here or that I am at this place in my life. Students that have participated in the American University Washington Semester Program have gone on to serve for the FBI, various senators, and numerous other positions in the DC area. What does that mean? It means that students come here just as me, a regular girl from Seattle, and leave with the experience and references that will set them up for the rest of their lives.

That's a scary reality for me. If I succeed in the seminar, the paper, the internship, if I am put in the position that allows me to grow closer to the potential that has been cultivating for the past +12 years. My biggest enemy is me. It is usually the case that right as things our progressing in a positive direction we (everyone and me) do something to mess it up. SO, to make sure that does not happen I will constantly assess my goals for this semester and life beyond it.

Once you get past the realization of what's happening there are many aspects to life in DC that are not philosophical. For instance, it is F@*&ing* hot!!!!! It's that stand in the shade and still sweat heat, get out the shower and never be dry because of the humidity heat. Doing my hair is a serious joke. Needless to say, I hate it. However, with the heat, I have a new found appreciation for air conditioning.

Another thing I was not prepared for was the walking, my dumb ass* decided to walk the National Mall in wedge sandals. By the end of the day, those little piggies were SCREAMING all the way to room. Lesson learned: walking shoes always.

This whole post is me rambling and I have an internship fair to attend in the morning. I hope this provides a small glimpse into what I am going through right now. If you have any questions you want me to answer feel free to ask.

PS: I miss all my SCU friends (you know who all of you are) and my friends and family
(esp. Coco) in Seattle. *Sorry about the language mom.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss u too amberrr! u might want to try investing in some curly hair products cuz i know u don't want to straighten ur hair every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (i easily posted something this morning but its not showing) lol at the disclaimer to your mom and your hair problems. and aww, yes girl, DC is gonna open a lot of doors you! keep us updated gal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i cannot wait to hear more about dc
    and yes, flats in your purse are a must
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like great opportunities, I know you will do and be great! Remember work your ass off, play just as hard and be true to yourself.

    Question: What’s up w/the brothers?

    ReplyDelete