Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Bye Barcelona

Last night was my last in Barcelona*. I'd already said goodbye to some friends the night before, but Sandy, Kiah and I decided to hang out at her apartment one last time. As we talked and reminisced I realized that the fact that I was leaving Barcelona in a few hours still hadn't really hit me. Though I knew that my time was running out, I still couldn't comprehend the fact that I wouldn't be waking up in Barcelona any more. Suddenly, every little thing I did in the city was more precious. I'd started refer to everything I did as "my last time in Barcelona". Like, "this is my last time walking down La Rambla. My last time taking the metro. My last time eating Chocky Chocs (my favorite cereal)". It may seem stupid and maybe it is a bit ridiculous, but I loved my time here... There. It's already a memory, no longer my reality.

After I finally finished packing at 4 in the morning, I decided to take a quick 2 1/2 hour nap before making the trek to the airport. I knew I had 21 hours of buses, airports, and planes ahead of me, but I couldn't sleep. I laid in my bed, tossing and turning, and periodically looking at the clock. My body was shaking with nervousness, my heart was pounding, and I had a huge lump in my throat. I felt like crying, but I couldn't. I was a big mess of emotion - something extremely unusual for me. Sure I missed home and friends and family, but I didn't want to say goodbye to Barcelona. It was finally happening. I was leaving the beautiful city I'd called home for 3 1/2 months, uncertain of when I'd ever return.

I know everyone says it, but studying abroad truly changed my life. I've become more independent and have learned how to adapt to different situations. I had an incredible time, met wonderful people, and made some amazing friendships that I hope to keep. I remember asking in my first blog if this trip was worth all the trouble. It was. And I don't regret going for a second.

*I wrote most of this post in the airport in Munich on my way back to the States.

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you feel like you had a life changing experience. Travel early and often!

    ReplyDelete